The Slaugham Archives

1944

Plane landed on Handcross golf course In 1896 West Park Golf Club was founded and the course was located about half a mile down Coos Lane ...
Chownes Mead maternity unit The large country house of Chownes Mead, being located between Cuckfield and Haywards Heath, is a fe...
Pease Pottage Home Guard This picture, taken in December 1944, shows the 14th Platoon of the Pease Pottage Home Guard, Sussex...
Handcross Auxiliary Fire Service 1939-45 In the early 1900s a horse-drawn fire engine was in operation under the auspices of the Slaugham Par...
V1 Flying Bomb and map of Mid and East Sussex This is a picture of an active V1 Flying bomb, perhaps more commonly known as a doodlebug. The rel...
St Martin des Besaces in WWII (1 of 4) The annual twinning weekend takes place at alternate venues with the event being held in Slaugham an...
St Martin des Besaces in WWII (2 of 4) The photograph shows infantry from the Irish Guards and tanks making their way along a road near St ...
St Martin des Besaces in WWII (3 of 4) Members of the infantry have hitched a lift on tanks in this photograph as they pass a blazing armou...
St Martin des Besaces in WWII (4 of 4) There are several military vehicles, perhaps both British and American, in this picture taken lookin...

Latest Pics

South Lodge at NymansStagecoach in Penny Illustrated of 1888Balcombe Water Tower (2 of 2)Balcombe Water Tower (1 of 2)Ruins of Slaugham Place - Arthur Shopland (6 of 6)Ruins of Slaugham Place - Arthur Shopland (5 of 6)Ruins of Slaugham Place - Arthur Shopland (4 of 6)Ruins of Slaugham Place - Arthur Shopland (3 of 6)Ruins of Slaugham Place - Arthur Shopland (2 of 6)Ruins of Slaugham Place - Arthur Shopland (1 of 6)