The Slaugham Archive
Barry Ray Year: 1905 Villages: HandcrossHandcross Park auction sale 1905 (4 of 4)
The picture featured in the auctioneer’s particulars for the sale of the Handcross Park estate, where it was named as The Hollies. Today it is known as Truckers Hatch located beside the southern entrance to the Hyde in the Horsham Road.
Select Open Document to view the remaining five pages of the auction catalogue.
Lots 6 to 12 each included a pair of Warren Cottages in Horsham Road, Handcross, but all the lots were withdrawn from the auction and therefore the 14 houses were unsold.
The heads of the families in Warren Cottages were: 1. Leonard and Margaret Leggatt, 2. John and Alice Gasson, 3. Thomas and Katherine Rice, 4. William and Agnes Burtenshaw, 5. George and Elizabeth Clevett, 6. Mrs Mary Weller, 7. Isaac and Mary Sayers, 8. Charles and Emily Stringer, 9. Raymond and Grace Wheatland, 10. George and Louisa Boniface, 11. Charles and Fanny Boniface, 12. Thomas and Ellen Pickett, 13. Mrs Ellen Stevens, 14. William and Martha Flint.
Lot 13 was for “Archpool” in the High Street and the winning bid was £1400 made by Philip Secretan of Slaugham. The property also included the smithy (now the entrance to Windmill Plat), two shops and two more houses. The tenants were George Broadbridge (blacksmith), Thomas Martin (ironmonger), and Arthur Anscombe (boot and shoe repairs). See picture #441.
Lot 14 was for the detached house “Rose Cottage”, now known as “Lynwood”. A hand-written note indicates that the lot was sold to a Mr Howley for the sum of £625.
The tenant was Mr A Pontifex who held a shorthold lease of three years. See picture #2379.
Lot 15 comprised a row of five un-named cottages, which today we know as “Redgates” and 1-4 “Redgate Cottages”. A note indicates that the highest bid was £675, which failed to reach the reserve price of £800.
The plan at picture #2441 seems to only show four cottages, but the most southerly one was divided into two residences.
The heads of the families were: John and Harriett Tompsett, Henry and Caroline Bailey, George and Frances Thornton, F. Hygate, Thomas and Louisa Leppard.
Lot 16 comprised three un-named houses now known as Hill View, Skies, and Heyford, the same order as listed in the catalogue. A note suggests that the winning bid was for £650 and was made by Mr Langridge.
The tenant of Hill View, including a shop, was widower, John Hersey, whose trade was fruiterer and seedsman. See picture #1223.
The tenant of Skies was widow, Mrs Rose Leppard, who traded as a confectioner. See picture #451.
The tenants of Heyford were Charles and Beatrice Dench.
Lot 17 comprised two un-named houses, now known as Kimberley and Lavender Cottage.
Kimberley’s tenant was William Staplehurst, who operated a stationers business in the house assisted by his wife, Edith. See picture #452, picture #453, and picture #454.
The adjoining house, Lavender Cottage, was rented to Raymond Wheatland who also operated a building business from the adjoining carpenters and plumbing shops, now known as The Pine Loft. He succeded to the building business previously run by his parents, George and Elizabeth Wheatland. See picture #456.
Select Open Document to view the final 5 pages of the auction catalogue.
Picture added on 12 February 2019 at 16:58
This picture is in the following groups